BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 4, 2008

It's Official, We're Green

We've officially made the move to cloth diapers. I know it's not a huge deal to anyone else, but it's a pretty major change in our way of life. I'm going to be changing more diapers every day, as well as doing more loads of laundry. It is worth it though, for us. I'm on a big environmental kick right now (I am a biologist by trade, after all) and I am excited to be using something that is a bit more Eco-friendly. I was hesitant to make the move to cloth diapers, but after reviewing the costs (http://www.diaperdecisions.com/cost_of_cloth_diapers.htm) we decided it was worth it.

We actually decided on cloth diapering a few weeks ago, but I had yet to buy them. I was at the store a few days ago and saw them there, so I did an impulse buy. It was 12 of them for 10.99, so after just 5 washes we will have made up the cost. Anyway, I knew that once I bought them I would use them because I have a problem with waste. My family would verify that I have a problem with waste, as most of their Christmas presents were wrapped in left over boxes of some kind. Stephen's shirt was in a cereal box, Mark's shirts were in a Triscuit box and a Saltines box. I just couldn't justify buying boxes when we had perfectly good ones at the house. My Mom showed me how to fold the diapers last night, so now we're hooked! I'm neurotic, I know.

Well, I just wanted to share our news. I know it's not exciting, but I'm glad we made the change. We're on a tight budget so that we can afford this adoption, and I feel like this is one more thing I can do to save us money. There are days that I struggle with the fact that I'm not bringing in any money, so when I can do things like this I feel like I'm contributing more. I know it's silly, but sometimes it's the little things, ya know?

Other than that, I start my job on Monday. I'm a Spanish instructor for Foreign Language for Youth, and I will be teaching first graders twice a week for an hour. I'm really looking forward to it! I'll be working after school is out, so Mark will be home to watch Tate. God has been so good in opening this door for us. It gives me the chance to use my Spanish, and I don't have to put Tate is daycare, and it is bringing in more money for this adoption. It's so great how it's all working out.

On an important side note, I am sorry if I reference money a lot. We really feel that God is opening the doors for our adoption in every way, but especially financially. We sat down and did a budget after Mark got home, and were surprised to see that it's actually financially possible to adopt. The costs are $21,500 which is no small amount, but we have such a peace about it. There is an adoption tax credit for about $11,000 the year you finalize, and several organizations do interest free loans for that amount. On top of that, when we did our budget we realized how much we can save. It will take a miracle for us to make all of it by ourselves, but God is so huge! Plus, there are grants out there, and I just got the Spanish job, and I started a "company" to sell my crochet and knit projects called H.O.P.E. by Design (Helping Others Provide la Esperanza). A store near our house took all of my inventory and is selling them there, and I'm thinking about opening an Ebay store. Mark is also turning pens on the lathe, and we'll probably get some of those into the store as well. So, anyway, I feel like God is going to open the doors in a big way, and I feel the need to be financially responsible so that we are good stewards of what God is giving us. So, if anyone reads this and wants to help hold us accountable, I would be more than happy to have that. Mark and I really want to be an open book in all areas, but especially financially since it can be a downfall for so many.

Sorry for the long post, I guess I had a lot on my mind. I hope your first few days of 2008 have been wonderful!

Love always,
Jenni, Mark and Tate

0 comments: