BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 3, 2008

My "Grand's" Legacy

Two of my good friends each lost a grandparent this week. Actually, both ladies were in my wedding and I consider them more like sisters. As I've prayed for them through their losses, I've been reminded how blessed I am in the grandparents department.

Remarkably, I have all four of my grandparents still living in good health. If you know me well, you know how shocking it is, since my mom's dad died on our boat when I was 15. You're probably wondering how I still have four...well, REALLY long story short, my mom and I revived him using CPR and he lived with very few complications, and was baptized few months later. He had his first heart attack in his late 30's, has had 3 open heart surgeries, and has only 20% of his heart left, yet, he lives on. He is a testament of God's grace and healing. My maternal grandma is still in great health, too. She's survived living with my grandpa for over 50 years and is feisty as all get out! They go fishing every summer (pretty much all summer) and I love them very much.

My dad's parent's are also in relatively good health. My grandma has ALS (as have just about every other woman and some men on my dad's side) but she's still walking and living life to the fullest. My grandpa is in great health, and is an inspiration, too. After his retirement he started volunteering at Habitat for Humanity, and has worked their for over 8 years. He "retired" from that last year, and they had to hire two people to do the work he was doing.

All this to say, my grandparents are incredible people. They have taught me that nothing is as important as hard work. They've also taught me the value of commitment. They have both been married for over 50 years! I love you, grandmas and grandpas, and I don't want to take a minute of the precious time I have with you for granted!

0 comments: