BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Lovin' the Twos

I am loving this age. A month or so ago I was wading through the difficulties, but Tate's been doing really well lately. He's learning obedience and his tantrums, while still frequent, are getting to a predictable routine so I kind of know the pattern.

Take yesterday for example: we were getting ready to go to the gym around 8:30 or so, and our cold little house was very, VERY cold. I had a sweatshirt, sweats and a hat on, so I put a sweatshirt on Tate and said
"Tate, before we go outside we have to put on a hat because it's very cold and I don't want you to get sick. We will take the hat off when we get in the car."
He yelled
"NO! NO HAT!"
and threw himself on the floor as I was trying to put it on. I finally got it on, and said
"you do not take your hat off until mommy says it's ok. If you do, you will get a spanking."
He immediately took the hat off, and got a spanking. (This is a quick retelling of the story, in reality when I spank I explain why they are receiving a spanking, spank them, and then let them cry and hug them...it's a lengthy process). Anyway, after he calmed down he let me put the hat on, but was still trying to move his head to get it to fall off. As we walked outside he seemed to accept the hat, and when we got in the car I said
"Great job, Tate, you can take your hat off! You have to wear it outside, not inside."
He took it off and was in a great mood!
On the way home it had warmed up considerably, so I was debating to myself on whether to push the hat issue. I had just about decided against it as I pulled into the driveway. When I went to unbuckle Tate, he reached for his hat and said
"Outside. Tate's hat."
And was trying to put it on! All by himself! He was obeying without being prompted! I was so proud of him. I helped him put on the hat, we walked in the house and once we were inside I said
"Ok, you can take off your hat now."
He did. I praised him all morning for his integrity in obeying me without being reminded. I am really proud of him for choosing to obey, especially when it was something he obviously didn't like. I realize it's a small matter in the big scheme of things, but at two, almost everything is a small matter. And, until he's faithful in the little things he can't learn to be faithful in the big ones.

Way to go Handsome Boy! I am so proud of you for following directions and obeying. You are such an inspiration and an encouragement! I love you.

0 comments: