BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 31, 2008

What a difference a year makes

My Halloween Dragon

A year ago today I was setting foot in the states after being in Guatemala (and visiting the rest of Central America) for two months.


I had my first Pumpkin Spice latte of the season one year ago today.


And the best part?


Mark was coming home in two days. He was in Kuwait, leaving for the states as I landed. It had been 7 months since we'd seen him, and boy! We were ready to be a family again.


Tate was adorable dressed up in his little dragon sweatshirt. He ran around the airport in Houston spreading holiday cheer. He found an empty water bottle and kicked it around the airport like a soccer ball for about an hour.


When we got back to Sea-Tac my mom ran to greet us. Tate remembered her and it was so good to be back. We went out to dinner with my in laws, and it was perfect. We slept in our own beds and woke up the next morning with a list a mile long and smiles a mile wide.


Don't get me wrong, I loved Guatemala with my whole heart. Love it so much I am going back, probably next year with Mark and the boys.


But no one takes the place of your people.


I've never been enamored with Halloween before, but for me, last year was the beginning of a deep appreciation for the day. Within a week after Halloween, my whole family was reunited.


Tate and I came back from Guatemala.


Mark came back from Iraq without a scratch on November 2nd.


My dad came back from Africa on November 3rd.


We had a celebration filled with joy and love.


I look back on this day last year, and I am amazed at where I am now. We had decided to pursue a domestic adoption while I was in Guatemala. Now that has fallen through and I am pregnant. I am hoping and praying with my whole heart that Guatemala will be within the Hague Convention standards soon, and the program opens up. Then we will be able to pursue an international adoption!


As I reflect on this past year, mostly I am grateful to my Savior. He has brought us through the hardest time in our lives, and held us closer than ever. I know the saying is that he holds us in the palm of his hand, but I believe that I've been in a bear hug off and on since July.


Thank you, Jesus, for my family.

Thank you, Jesus, for your comfort.

Thank you, Jesus, for your nearness.

Thank you, Jesus, for helping me remember.
Help me not to forget.

0 comments: