BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 15, 2009

Laundry Detergent

Seems to be working well.

It's super easy, anyone can do it!

Here's what you need:

-5 gallon bucket with lid
-1 bar of soap
-1 cup of washing soda (I used Arm and Hammer)
-1/2 cup Borax

(I got all of my stuff at Fred Meyer)

1. Boil 4 cups of water. While you're waiting for it to boil, grate, cut, peel, or whatever the entire bar of soap. I used the potato peeler, but next time I will grate it.

2. After the water starts boiling, turn it down to simmering and add the soap shavings. Stir until it's dissolved (you'll just have a big pot of soapy water).

3. Put 3 gallons of warm water into the bucket.

4. Add the washing soda, soapy water and Borax. Stir to dissolve everything, and let it set overnight.

Mine turned gelatenous, and works great! I also read that it can be watery, but works just the same. Let me know if you make some and how it turns out.

For pictures that accompany the directions, go here. This is where I got the idea, and those are the directions followed. He also does a cost benefit analysis, and tests the detergent to make sure it works. Thanks, The Simple Dollar!

1 comments:

Nate, Heather, Spence, & Trey said...

i am totally going to do this - i hate buying laundry soap!