BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, September 14, 2009

Lessons from a 3 year old

#1. Assume everyone is your friend, and more often than not, you'll be right.

I would like to think I'm a pretty friendly kind of lady. But I don't hold a candle to my son. It doesn't matter where we are, Tate makes friends. Lots of them. To say that Tate has earned himself a special place in the hearts and lives of several friends, acquaintances and family members would be an understatement. Even Theo prefers Tate's company to anyone elses. I really believe it's a gift that most children have, and now that Tate's at the age where he is very, VERY verbal, I notice it even more.

I was thinking about it on the walk home from the gym this morning. What is it about Tate that makes people respond and love him?

Almost instantly I found out.

As we were walking, two goth teenagers, probably about 19, were skating by on their skateboards.

"MOM!" Tate yelled, "Here come my friends!" He waved frantically at them, and yelled "Hi Friends!"

In complete contrast to their black makeup and clothes, they laughed, waved, and said, "hey Buddy," to Tate as they passed.

After they had gone, Tate looked up at me with his big grin "Mom, did you see my friends? I like my friends."

Yes, Tate, I saw your friends. And yes, God, I get the message. I'll try harder to assume that everyone is my friend and maybe, just maybe, I'll be right!

1 comments:

The Purse Pantry said...

Erick is EXACTLY the same way! He'll scream out in public, "Mommy, here come my friends! I love my friends!" I am trying to encourage it while teaching him boundaries (not everyone loves it when you run up and hug them). :-) It's the loving spirit inside him that I'm confident he got from me (Momma said I was the same way). what happens as we get older???