BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Traveling with Little Tykes...Take 1

Jenni and the boys on the way to Guatemala 04/09


I've decided to do a series on traveling with little tykes. I plan on posting a related topic every Tuesday until I've exhausted the resources. Today I'm just going to share my "credentials", and after reading them you can decide if you think it's worthwhile to continue with the series or not. I get a lot of comments about how crazy we are to take kids along on our travels, so I want to share some things I've learned...and maybe after reading some you won't think we're AS crazy as you once did.
So, in case you're interested, here are my credentials:


-I took Tate on 5 round trips from Virginia to Washington State (mostly by myself) before he was 4 months old. His first flight was when he was 9 weeks old.


-At 7, 9 and 10 months old we flew down to California. Just the two of us each time (Mark was leaving on his Iraq deployment, then for a family get together, and then to visit friends and meet a new baby).


-At a year old, Tate and I (along with another friend) took a two month long trip to Guatemala for the last two months of Mark's deployment. While there we decided to take a 102 hour round trip bus ride to Panama. It was fantastic.


-We've been on several road trips, the longest being about two weeks when we went from Seattle to Lake Tahoe, then over to Yosemite, San Francisco, and then up the coast back home (Mark was here for this one!)


-Theo, not to be outdone by his older brother, took his first airplane ride at 7 weeks old (down to Guatemala).


-While in Guatemala we took two long bus rides. One that was 18 hours round trip and another that was was 38 hours round trip.


-Both the boys came with me to Nicaragua again right before Tate's third birthday and Theo's six month birthday. My mom came with us.


-Since Theo was born we have made about 25 trips to and from Portland, Oregon to Seattle, WA. Each trip is about 4 hours long.

Also, we have had several mini road trips to various locations...hiking Mt. Pilchuck, Marymere Falls, Multnomah Falls, etc. We also have another Nicaragua trip in the works for November (Mark will be coming, too!) and I just heard that Mark has a 3 day conference in BC coming up, so we'll be heading up there to look around, too.

All this to say that even though I hardly consider myself an expert on travel with youngsters, I have learned a thing or two along the way. I am going to do my best to share my wisdom to hopefully help make your future trips just a bit easier.




Happy Travels!
Jenni

2 comments:

What we are all about said...

That is crazy ;o) Please share you wisdome!

Alibear said...

You're not crazy, Jenni. I was a kid raise like you're raising Tate (and now Theo.) I was born in Japan. The oldest daughter of an Air Force couple, and my dad left the Air Force before my sister was born. Anyway... I had been around the world before I could talk. Someone just asked me last week if I remembered my first flight. I don't remember NOT flying! I don't know how my parents did it, but somehow there are things I see kids doing while traveling that my sister and I never would have dreamed of doing. I'd like to be able to teach my kids those same manners and travel habits. Share away!