BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, October 4, 2009

In the Ghetto Rant part 1

Ok, Lt. Wonderful (aka Mark, my husband) isn't here today. He's playing Navy in Portland. Since he's gone and the two other friends I have here are in church, I have no one to help me use the 35,000 or so words that I need to get out today.

But I do have a blog. Bless you, dear blog.

Seriously, what is up with my neighbors? Let me introduce them to you...I'll keep in anonymous in case they every stumble across the blog, but I doubt it matters. They don't even know our last name (thank goodness). I'll probably only get to one today, so be sure to check back later for more news from da 'hood. Maybe that should be the new name of our blog "The Stearns' News From Da 'Hood". Hmmm...I'll have to think about it.

First up we have Mom of the Year [MOTY]. I'm not even sure if she qualifies as a neighbor, as she's not listed on the apartment lease, but she lives there with her three young kids (3,4,6). She lives with the woman who does have the lease and her two young kids (I don't know how old they are). So, if you're counting, that's 5 kids and 2 adults in a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment, which is not allowed. She moved in, oops, I mean came to visit a month ago, and has yet to leave. I have several gripes about MOTY. First, she lets her kids run WiLd all day, every day. Second, her oldest is old enough to be in school, he should be in school, but she's decided that she doesn't want to send him. He started the year and then they had to come for their visit, and she just hasn't gotten around to enrolling him here. He's six. He really needs to be in Kindergarten or first grade. I really hope that this is his first year of school and he's not falling too far behind, but it's been a month. I'm losing more hope every day.

I'm going to take you on a rabbit trail now-just because it's my blog and I can.

I realize that I have several flaws when it comes to being a mom. I'm too selfish. I snap. I have a quick temper. My mom was concerned for a while [before I had kids] because I wasn't naturally a nurturer. Even so, there were several basic safety guidelines that I didn't cross-such as: do not allow children to play in the street. I feel this is self explanatory and very necessary.

Ok, back to the rant.

I was sitting in the grass the other day with Theo watching Tate play. MOTY was up on her balcony chain smoking and drinking beer [per the usual] and her kids were riding their bikes [without helmets, but I wouldn't expect anything different]. At first they were riding them on the lawn and sidewalk area in front of us. No problem, great location! Then, they got the idea to move up to the parking lot. SERIOUSLY! A parking lot. Let me tell you, this lot is busy ALL day EVERY day. People are always going in and out in a hurry. Kids on bikes are a very easy thing to miss when you're backing out. They are shorter than the trunk of the car and it would be really easy to hit them. It's DANGEROUS! MOTY didn't care, she was just sitting there, mostly talking and drinking beer...occasionally looking out to see if they were ok. Then, the kids venture out into the street-a four lane road. Lucky for me, MOTY does have some sense of danger because she yelled,

"DON'T BE STUPID KIDS! DON'T YOU KNOW IT'S DANGEROUS TO PLAY IN THE STREETS?"

Not to be rude, ma'am, but, how exactly would you expect them to know? The parking lot leads right to the street. Both are busy and there's not much of a barrier in between the two.

The kids return to the lawn at this point, but they decide that it would be fun to ride their bikes down the concrete steps to the sidewalk below. The 4 year old tries it and falls on her back. She starts to whimper and MOTY looks up and says, "Well, what do you expect? That was a really unintelligent thing to do." No, I'm not making this up.

So, I'm looking for cheap helmets at the store. I figure I can at least supply them-if they choose not to wear them, that's their decision.

In the mean time, MOTY broke her ankle yesterday (she fell into a trench here at the complex. I got an earful about how she's suing them. Not sure what for-she's on state medical insurance and she told me she isn't having to pay the bills...we'll see how that works out) so I'm going to bring her dinner. Good, Old Fashioned, Home made Mac and Cheese. Even though I don't agree with her parenting, lifestyle, or really, anything she does, I know that she needs a good old dose of compassion. So, if you think about it, please shoot up a prayer for us-I need an extra measure of grace when dealing with her.

Thanks for listening, friends. Next time I'll introduce you to She Who Bears (or Bares) it All.

Love,
Jenni

3 comments:

What we are all about said...

No doubt you are there for a purpose girl! Hang in there and I will be praying for you and the families surrounding you!

Miriam Porter said...

Oh Jenni I can hardly wait to here about your next neighbor it sounds pretty good. It was so good to talk to you. That reminds me I will be good and look up some marathons for us to run

Kara said...

I've known parents like MOTY. Yipes! It takes a village, I know, but can we really be expected to successfully raise the parents, too?

I'm sure your example will shine through the chain-smoke and alcohol haze to bring some inkling of a clue.

This is temporary. Anything can be tolerated so long as there's an end in sight.

Love you, Sis!