BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Split Pea Soup recipe

Some friends on FB asked for the Split Pea Soup recipe I used in my first ever attempt at making and tasting split pea soup.  I loved it!  It will become a regular around here, probably for lunches, and maybe even dinner occasionally.

So, in case you ever wanted to try it, here's the recipe!

Ingredients:
1 T vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups dried split peas
1/2 cup barley
1 1/2 t salt
7 1/2 cups water
**
3 carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 potatoes, diced
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 t dried basil
1/2 t dried thyme
1/2 t ground black pepper

Preparation:
1.  In a large pot over medium high heat, saute the oil, onion, bay leaf and garlic for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
2.  Add peas, barley, salt and water.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
3.  Simmer for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
4.  Add carrots, celery, potatoes, parsley,basil, thyme and pepper.  Simmer for 20-30 more minutes or until the peas and veggies are tender.

So, I didn't add any of the stuff after the **.  It looked good and tasted good to me, so I just had the peas and barley.  Also, my peas were really dense, so I could have added more water.  The soup ended up being the consistancy of creamy mashed potatoes.  Next time I think I will add 8 1/2 cups of water and see what happens.  You can't overcook the soup, if it gets too dry just add more water!

I got this recipe from Susan Gregory and the Daniel Fast e-cookbook here.   The entire book is only $8.95 and she's got great recipes if you're looking to do a Daniel Fast. 

*************
Things are going pretty well here.  Theo's cruising around crawling and walking assisted.  He loves saying "hi!" to us and is very outgoing.  He screams for attention a lot, so we've been ignoring a lot.

Tate got a bunch of awesome toys for Christmas that he's been playing with non stop.  He's doing well with letter recognition and is even putting his own underwear on!!  It's life changing for me, let me tell you.  Sometimes he gets them on backwards or inside out, but I think he comes by it naturally, don't you?

The boys are "napping" so I should go and get some stuff done around here...lots to do, per the usual.

I think the house needs a New Year's Resolution to clean itself.

I hope all is well with you!

Love,
Jenni

0 comments: