BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Meatless Monday?

Lately I've been trying to go meatless at least once a week.  I've been choosing Monday simply because of alliteration-Meatless Mondays-it's easier to remember this way.  I started this after we got back from Nicaragua the first time.  The idea of not eating meat every day was revolutionary to me.  I can honestly say that before we went to Nicaragua, I had never gone more than one day without eating meat.  Deciding to go without meat wasn't anything official, but just something I thought we should try occasionally.  Then in January we went for 3 weeks without meat.  I was a little bit skeptical about not eating meat for three weeks...I'm not really sure what I thought might happen.  Whatever it was that I thought would happen, though, didn't.  I didn't even miss meat.  Allow me to say that again:

I didn't even miss meat.

Yes.  Shocking, I know.  I went back to our old eating habits, more out of habit than desire, but couldn't shake the feeling that I was eating stuff I didn't need.  So, slowly, I've begun going meatless.  I'm certainly not a vegetarian, I don't know that I will ever take that leap.  But I do know that I don't miss meat when I don't have it.  So, I've simply begun not having it as much.  I'm learning how to season food with spices (not salt, I don't do much salt, either) and I am really enjoying this practical use of chemistry!  Last night I made a bean, rice and lentil curry dish.  It was INCREDIBLE!!  I loved it!  Very filling and very good. 

So where does this leave me?  and Mark?  Well, it leaves us with a little lower of a grocery bill as I incorporate other types of protein into our diets.  It leaves me with a little more time in the kitchen trying to prepare food-and that's ok.  I'm enjoying it.  It leaves me wiggle room to figure out exactly what I want, and frees me from the expectation that I have to prepare meat every day, but it also gives me the freedom to eat meat when I want to without feeling guilty. 

So, here's to a meat free dinner tonight-simply because it's what I want tonight.  And tomorrow, if I want meat, then I'll cook it up.

Buen Provecho!

1 comments:

Cadovius said...

we got meatless twice a week and we don't miss it either...usually it's pasta with marinara and pancakes night ..it helps keep our budget under control as well as limits our red meat intake (which we only have once a week anyway). I'd love for us to share some meatless recipes if you like! :-) I've got some GREAT crockpot recipes I could send you, too, that help keep yall healthy and the grocery bill under control. :-) Glad you're having fun experimenting.