BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Two Weeks!

Two weeks from tonight I will be boarding an airplane to go see the rest of my kids. 

These ones:



And these ones:

I cannot wait!  I'm uploading all of our past pictures for some stuff for Mark and I'm feeling very nostalgic about being there.  It's been too long.  I need my kids.  I know they're doing well, but I want to see it with my own eyes.  I miss them, just like I would miss Theo or Tate if they weren't here with me.

But this isn't just a social call.  We'll be working down there, too.

I could go into my thoughts on short term missions, but that could be a bit controversial and I'm all about sowing peace and love, not controversy and discontent. 

So instead I will simply say this: our goal is the same here and in Nicaragua.  We want to share the love of Jesus.  In Nicaragua we do that by showing the kids that they are valuable and worthy of love just for being who they are.  Unconditional love hasn't been a huge part of their lives before the orphanage, and even though they are loved very much by the staff there, a child can never have too much love.

Another thing we do to show them our love is work to not just meet their needs, but also provide them with opportunities to flourish. 

We're very excited about this trip because we have been working and planning for this project for a long time.  This time we're starting a chicken project!!  The boys are going to be in charge of it, we're just providing the funds.  They have a budget worked out, they have a list of supplies they need, they know how many chickens they'll be able to house, they know how long it takes to raise them, how much they can get for each part, the cost of grain and medicine...they've done their homework.

The project is for butchering chickens, not laying hens.  The boys did the math and butchering is much more profitable.  There are several goals: Education, self confidence, and the self sustainability of the project.  Per the projections done by the boys and the agriculture leader at the Orphanage, they should be able to sell half and consume half of each crop.  That means adding some much needed meat to the kids' diet.  It will take a while to build up funds for an emergency fund and such, but the eventual goal is sustainability of the project. 

There you have it.  That's what we'll be doing in Nicaragua, in case you were wondering.

Have a wonderful day!!

Peace and Love,
Jenni

0 comments: