BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Cuidado & Compassion

I believe compassion can be learned.  That said, I also believe that some people are just born more compassionate than others.  Tate is one of those people.  Parenting compassionate kids can be very difficult for us less compassionate folk.  Whenever Theo cries because he's upset or hurt, it's inevitable that Tate will cry, too.  It's sweet because he's really upset that the babe is hurting, but it's also frustrating because he wants to be comforted, too.  We go back and forth on how to deal with this.

Yesterday, though, I was reminded just how sweet this boy is.  We had been out and about, running errands and then we went to the zoo.  We left after an hour and a half because Theo just couldn't hack it anymore.  Tate easily could have stayed all day.  When I got home I noticed that Theo was asleep so I unbuckled Tate and then took the groceries into the house.  When I came back out to get Theo, this is what I saw:



Tate said to me:

"Mom, Theo just needed a snuggle and some sleep.  That's all."

I was blown away.  I thought he'd hold a grudge about having to leave the zoo early because of his brother.  He didn't.  He gets it.  He understands that people's needs can effect us in a frustrating way, but that doesn't mean that we should treat them badly.

I am so proud of my boy!

*****

Theo said his first word in Spanish yesterday!  I am so proud of him!

He was trying to climb on Tate's bike.  He slipped and caught himself before he fell on the ground.  He looked up at me, smiled and said, "cuidado!" [which means careful].
So precious!

I cannot even begin to tell you how many times I day I say, "cuidado bebe".  That's how he learned it.

And, after receiving positive attention for that, he proceeded to run around the house until bedtime yelling, "CUIDADO!! CUIDADO!! CUIDADO!!" at the top of his lungs.

I may have created a monster.


2 comments:

Britney said...

Yay for Theo and Tate! I may have told you, but Brae has been in a Spanish immersion school since he was 3 months old. He now knows about 15 words in Spanish! Their little minds are like sponges!

Anonymous said...

What a pair of wonderful boys. I'm so proud of all my children and grandchildren...my heart is filled to bursting!

-- Nana Stearns