BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Adios!

Today we're feeling sad. 

My parents left.  It was wonderful to have them here, and we are really feeling the effects their departure.  I cried.  Tate cried.  My mom cried.  My dad may have teared up.

Theo slept!  

I don't think I'll ever forget what my parents each said to me as they left.  Since words of affirmation are my preferred method of receiving love, I will just say that I will always treasure the word jewels they gave me.  Having them here was so important to me.  Nicaragua is our home, our lives, our family and having my parents honor this ministry we've chosen by making the sacrifices necessary to enable them to come down and see our kids and our work here means the world to me.  I know that Nicaragua isn't the place that most people would dream of coming on their vacation…let alone, in August when you're from the pacific NW.  I mean, really, is there a better time to live in Seattle? (Maybe September, but that's it).  

God really blessed my parent's time here.  My mom was able to reach a boy that I have yet to be able to…he has suffered a lot of hurts and my mom was like a balm of his soul.  Watching him open up to her was like watching a flower open.  You know you're waiting for something that is going to be beautiful, but you just  aren't sure what the colors will be like, the shape it's going to take and how long it will take until it starts to open.  At first his response to her was slow, but by last night he was initiating conversation and even asked for her email to keep in touch.  It was breathtakingly beautiful to see this hurt boy respond to love.  At lunch today Tate (whose name means 'Cheerful peacemaker') walked up to him while he was sitting on the bench at lunch.  This boy always sits at the end of the bench by himself with his music on.  Tate says to him, "Can I sit next to you at dinner please?"  He shook his head yes and quickly bowed it again before we could see too much of his smile. 

This whole interaction made me smile.  I've been praying that God would use me to touch this boy to get him to open up and he is-by using my parents and my son!

I was impressed by my dad's ability to remember the boys' names.  I loved watching him speak the truth into these boys' lives.  One boy in particular wants to be a plastic surgeon and make a lot of money.  He's a capitalist to the core of his being.  My dad told him that after working for 10-15 years he should consider working for Mercy Ships, Intl.  He talked about the kids in Africa who have growths and such and need plastic surgery to return to "normal" after their medical procedures.  I saw this boy take in the idea and start to chew on it.  I know this boy was impacted by the stories that he heard about my dad working in Mongolia and Africa.  I saw him start to think about living a little beyond himself.  A big concept for a boy whose goal in life is to make as much money as possible to offset the childhood marred by poverty.  

I had the joy of introducing my dad to his granddaughters.  

Although my mom had met them last year, this year it was a little different.  Better.  This year we're family and can act as such. 

It was a great week we spent together.  I didn't want it to end.  

The only good thing about them going home is that I'm one day closer to being with Mark again. 

Thanks for coming, Mom and Dad!  We miss you already!



4 comments:

Miriam Porter said...

I totally know how you feel. my mom visited me in China and when she left it was the worst. I am so happy you got to share that with your parents. I love you Jenni.

Heather Carl said...

oh friend...this post made me cry. not in a bad way, just in a way that feels you. i wasn't going to post anything, but i really feel like the lord wants me to say something - it's okay to be sad sometimes in your situation. your heart is being pulled in 2 directions (and right now, it's actually 3). and while you are very open and willing to stand before your king, go where he leads, and experience such joy - you are allowed to miss your mom and dad. :) i just feel like you need to really know that - it doesn't lessen your heart and love for what you're called to in this moment. i am praying for you, your hubby, and those sweet sweet boys. i hope you hear my heart in this post - i love you!

Anonymous said...

Love,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write these beautiful words. You are such an amazing mother and woman of God. I am so very blessed to call you "wife." I love you and I can't wait until all 7 of us are together as a family.

Yours,
Mark

Anonymous said...

Well I started crying when I saw the pictures on your myspace and I cried harder when I read your blog but after reading Mark's post - It's official. I'm blubbering.

I love you dearly and I miss you terribly and my heart hurts with yours as you walk through this. But you are stronger than almost any woman I know and I know that God has created you and prepared you and Mark and your parents and your boys and now your girls for such a time as this . . .
It is AMAZING and humbling to watch God's purpose in your life unfold and I know He will supply your needs through this next step.
I love you so much and I am thinking of you often and praying often for this entire transition. Keep up the heartfelt postings, it is almost as good as talking to you in person - not quite, but I'll take what I can get.
Love you friend - very much.
-Missy Sue