BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Speakin' Spanish

Theo is completely bilingual. 



Pretty big claim since he's only 18 months I know, I know.  But hear me out.  

His words in English are:
Ball
Hi
Water
Bye bye
Thank you
Please
Down
Blanket
Mine

His words in Spanish are:
Hola
Agua
Adios
Gracias
Cuidado
Mio (mine)
Vaya (basically, I want you to leave me alone)
Vamos (let's go)
Suegra (mother in law…he calls our friend Erika that.  She's pregnant with her first child and if it's a girl we've already half planned the wedding)

The names he knows are:
Mama
Dada
Papa
Nana
Grandma
Tate
Theo (Pronounced EEE-OOOOHHHH, super cute)


So there you have it.  He officially knows more words in Spanish than he does in English.  Names are good in either language, so I would say that my son is completely fluent in Spanish.  We're working on "pelota" (ball) and "por favor" (please) but those are a little harder.  

Tate is also making great strides.  His phrase yesterday (that he got reprimanded for) was

Callate animal!
Or, "Shut up, animal".  Yes, he's heard that several times since being here.  We've been talking about appropriate words and inappropriate ones.  He knew it was wrong and chose to say it anyway.   He was egged on by some of his hermanos, but he knows who his mom is and who he's supposed to obey, he simply chose to ignore my warnings.  

He was playing on the porch and one of the boys told him (in Spanish) "Tate, come here!"  He looked at him, held up his hands in a questioning gesture and said, "Y por que?" (and why?).  Yes, he's getting the chavalo attitude, too.  As we'd say in Growing Kids "we're working on that."  

(Truth be told after a couple of weeks of being here we went on a huge discipline kick to get him back into shape and it's worked wonders.  He even prayed to ask God to help him not disobey-this was without me asking him if he wanted to do that.  He's doing well, we're just doing regular tune ups). 

Anyway, the kids are doing great, picking up a lot of the language.  I'm trying to speak in Spanish with them (since we're here) and then repeat in English if there's a question as to what I am saying.   It seems to be working!  Now if only we could do something about the whole diaper changing thing, cuz I'm about burned out on that...

1 comments:

Britney said...

I love it! Brae is too. The other day, he said "owie mi pie!" and stuck his foot in our faces. So, at least he speaks Spanglish.