BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, November 1, 2010

North Korea and the DMZ

That's me in North Korean territory (with a South Korean soldier guarding us)

With the boys at the Third Tunnel

On Saturday we ventured out to the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone).  It was a trip I've wanted to do for a while.  The day was split in half, I did half with the family and half without because children under 10 are not allowed at the Joint Security Area (JSA) where I was able to step foot into North Korean territory. 

The trip was intensely sad.  Koreans have a long history of being occupied and manipulated by other countries and it's heartbreaking to think that after Japanese occupation ended, instead of coming into their own they fought a bloody war and the country was split. 

The first half of the tour was so-so, but the second half in the JSA area was really interesting.  As the name would make you expect, the two sides have access to the same area.  It's the only are that both sides come and go from equally. 

I am happy to have gone to see the DMZ, but really I hope and pray that the DMZ will be obsolete soon.  

********************

I just realized that yesterday was my 500th post!  I can hardly believe it!  In order to celebrate I'm thinking about having a giveaway here later this week.  Stay tuned!

0 comments: