BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Book Review "Radical"

I was recently given* a book to review, called "Radical" by David Platt.  I found the subtitle particularly intriguing, Taking your faith back from the American Dream.  Several books I have read recently have had similar ideas so I was a little skeptical that this book was going to have new or better information than what I had recently read.

I was pleasantly surprised!  The book was just the right mix of stories and information.  It was more intellectually stimulating than some of the other books I have read and because of that I read slower.  I had to ponder what was written and decide how to integrate the new information into my daily life.

The thesis of the book is quite ambitious, "We will together explore the biblical gospel alongside our cultural assumptions with an aim toward embracing Jesus for who he really is, not for who we have created him to be." (pg. 21).  This was a lofty goal, but Platt manages to accomplish this task.  I would be lying if I said that I didn't feel guilty...I did, several times.  But I believe that the Holy Spirit can use that to bring about change and I hope and pray that as a result of reading the book and putting into practice the One Year Radical Experiment, I can change.

"Radical" is full of good quotes, practical and godly advice and it has the right amount of conviction mixed with encouragement.

If you're dissatisfied with the American Church, if you're looking for ways to deepen and enrich your faith or if you're wondering what the gospel is all about, this is a book you should read.  Platt clearly presents the gospel as written in the Bible and explains how we have perverted it and made God into our image.

The end of the book invites you to take a year long challenge to live radically for Christ.  I am taking the challenge I am taking the challenge and I look forward to experiencing a deeper relationship with God which hopefully manifests and makes me into a more authentic and genuine follower of Christ.

*I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.  However, the thoughts and feelings I have shared here are my own.  

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite daughter-in-law (I am blessed with two favorites) ;-)

I am curious how the book meshes with the "Restoration Movement" (Christian Church/Churches of Christ) that you and I have grown up in?

Papa