BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Lessons in Being a Good Steward

One thing I've learned in our journey to being more financially responsible: sometimes being responsible is just not fun.

This week LT Wonderful decided he needs some gloves with the cut off fingers, but with a mitten cover.  Said gloves cost $22.00.  Bless his heart, before buying them he called me and asked me if there was any way I could make him some.  I quickly did a pattern search and found out that I could do it, should I want to.  But guess what?  I hate knitting things like that...things that have to be identical.  I feel pressure to make them perfect and with gloves...ugh.  What a chore.  The fingers are intricate and blah.  My excitement level was a -10.  And, usually I love making something new.

But we decided to be responsible this year and replenish our savings.  No matter how I slice it, $22 is $22.  I could go on a date with my husband with that money.

So I put on my big girl panties and got out some yarn and started making those suckers.  I've finished one and half of the second.  I still don't like it.  It's still drudgery. But you know what?  I'm honoring my husband, and honoring God with my talent.  After all, what good is a skill if I can't use it to help my family?  I am feeling very convicted about this while I knit.  I am doing this for my family.  Every little bit helps and even though I am not enjoying it, I'm serving my family.

I'll post pics of the ugly mitts when they're done.  I really couldn't care less about them in and of themselves.  But I am using up a skein of yarn that was sitting in my stash and I am serving my family.

Oh, responsibility, sometimes I detest you.

1 comments:

Cadovius said...

I am so proud of you. This was/is such a tough lesson for me too!

I started making the boys shorts and pj pants while living in HI and while it's DEFINITELY NOT my favorite thing to make...it does save us a bundle of cash. Adam has asked me to sew things before and I'm always like, "ugh, I don't like sewing that" or "I'm no good at that." I'm having to remember to use my talents to serve my family as well. And while it's torture in some ways, it does teach us how to use our talents to serve our families and the Lord.