BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

SoulPrint-Another Batterson Favorite

I recently finished Mark Batterson's newest book, Soulprint*.   I have devoured all of his past books, and was anxiously awaiting the release of this book.   After reading the premise online, though, my expectations were lowered.  I felt like destiny books have been done and are overrated, and I was disappointed that he chose this to be the theme of his latest book. That didn't stop me from diving into the pages as soon as the book came in the mail, though.  And I'm not too proud to admit that my negative thoughts on the book were proven completely wrong. 

Mark does talk about destiny, but he puts God at the center of it, not me.  This is a totally refreshing way of looking at it.  I get tired of the Jeremiah 29:11 outlook on life "plans not to harm you" because I think people take it too literally.  We very well may be physically harmed if we are following the great commission, but the eternal rewards are worth it.  I think that Mark takes this into consideration when he talks about our destiny.  

Mark talks about our uniqueness and that we weren't created to just be unique, we were created to worship God with our uniqueness.  We have a note to sing or play in a chord that won't be complete without us.  God longs to hear us play the note we were destined to play, that he created us to play.  Our chief objective in life is to become like Jesus.  Our secondary objective is to be unlike anyone who has ever lived.  These are intertwined, because to become like Christ is to become unlike everyone else.  "[God] sets us free from who we're not, so we can become who we were destined to be." (pg. 13). 

The book is centered around the life of David.  Mark mixes in examples from David's life along with personal anecdotes.  The mix is a good one.  Amazingly, he manages to make some of the most told stories from the Old Testament, such as David and Goliath, come alive again.  

At the end of the book is a very in depth study guide.  I'll be honest, I'm nervous to start it.  There's going to be a lot of soul searching involved in it.  But I'm also ready.  I have no idea now long the process will take, but I'm sure I'll walk away more self aware than I was before. 

I encourage you to pick up this book, and Batterson's others.  I have yet to be disappointed with any of his books.  I believe God has gifted him with a unique ability to effectively communicate what the church needs to hear and this book could be a great tool for equipping the church for more authentic ministry. 

*Which I received free from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing for reviewing purposes. 

0 comments: