BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Book Review: Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes

I've been reading Robin Jones Gunn's Sisterchick Series since they were published.  While I can't relate to the age of the characters (typically they are empty nesters) I really do enjoy reading the stories she's able to spin about their lives.  Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes* is very similar to the others I've read in this series, a cute read, although somewhat predictable.

Sisterchick books follow a pretty standard pattern: A woman is faced with a dilemma, decides to go on a trip to an exotic location even though it's totally out of character for her.  She usually has some significant demons to face while she's there, and a friend who either goes with her or meets her there helps her uncover what it is she needs to learn.  The woman experiences a refreshing of her faith and comes home changed.  Laughs and truths are mixed together for an easily read story.  This book follows her typical pattern and is cute.

I didn't find the truths discovered by the main character to be terribly deep, but I enjoyed the simplicity of them.  Much of the lessons are pulled from the 23rd Psalm, and it is beautiful in it's simple peacefulness.

The reason I really enjoy the Sisterchick books is because I firmly believe in the benefits of stepping out of your comfort zone and experiencing life in unexpected places.  I can totally relate with how disorienting it can be to find yourself in a different culture.  I can personally attest to how life changing a trip can be. Sometimes just changing your perspective when you look at the world can change how you view your situation entirely.

While I wouldn't recommend you run out and buy this book right away, I found it a fun and quick read.

*I received this book free from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishing for reviewing purposes.

0 comments: