BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, July 18, 2011

My thoughts on Love and War



I have tried to be very open about how rough the past year was on our marriage.  Being separated for work, living in polar opposite parts of the world, having two young children…the stressors were numerous.  But those reasons really don't address the crux of the matter.  The real problem was that we stopped making our marriage a priority and allowed all of those things (and many of them were wonderful things) to take precedence. 

So about a year ago we decided to fight for our marriage.  In order to make our marriage a priority we focused on quality time together, surrounding ourselves with people that also make marriage a priority (and hold us accountable), and reading books and taking seminars that will strengthen our marriage.  

When I saw that Love and War by John and Stasi Eldridge was available from Waterbrook Multnomah through their Blogging for Books program, I was thrilled!  I had heard great things about the book from several people so I was ready to start reading it as soon as it came in the mail.  I was not disappointed.  I really enjoyed the two perspectives of the book, it made a lot of sense to me to have the husband and wife team work together on a book. 

I think the most important point of the book is that we can't look to our spouse to heal us, only God can do that.  Putting unrealistic expectations on our spouse causes so many problems!

The bottom line is that a good marriage is work.  But it's worth it to keep going to experience healing and restoration.

0 comments: