BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 13, 2012

Turning off the TV

We are turning off the TV this week for the boys.  It's day one hour one and I can honestly say up until about three minutes ago I regretted my decision.  Theo woke up and wanted to watch cartoons and I told him no.

And he screamed.

But, after a few minutes he was distracted.  Then he wanted TV again.  Ooh, there he is distracted again.  It's been about 57 minutes of that.

UNTIL Tate woke up.  Now they are playing together upstairs.  I hear meowing so I believe it's some kind of cat game.  I love hearing them imagine together.

I may go crazy this week, but at least for now the boys are actively engaged together in something fun.

That's a win in my book.

3 comments:

Newlyweds on a Budget said...

I think that's a great idea! I know I want to really limit the use of TV in our house when we have kids, but it's a lot easier said than done, haha!

Anonymous said...

It is hard for everyone to go without the great distractor. The REAL challenge, however, is to address the root rather than the blossom. When we left our TV behind and went without for 5 years, we discovered that computer games and the Internet quickly took TV's place. I'll be praying for the Beaverton Stearns' quest to find balance.

Jill said...

Good for you!

I sometimes feel like I am the only mother around who doesn't have a DVD player in the car or give my kids the iPhone to play on. I refuse to buy them anything electronic (iTouch, etc) and feel like puzzles and books and blocks and imaginitive play are the way to go.

I have actually recieved some judgement for my choices (I have some friends *swear* their kids learn "soooo much" from their video games) and have been told that Kate and Connor will be behind in their elementary school computer classes.

Um... Kate is 2.5 and Connor is 15 months. REALLY, PEOPLE!?!?

We do one hour of TV a day and that is usually so I can make dinner. Sometimes, if John gets home early, that hour of TV is skipped and noone seems to miss it.